Wednesday 16 February 2011

Casting process

Back view as the silicone begins to drip downwards

Thin layer of silicone brushed into details


Side view, the wall varies in thickness from 6mm to 20mm at the peek areas


Surrounding clay wall with keys, additional clay is filling any chips in the plaster's surface

Several approaches to casting my headpiece have been discussed. To follow Pete's initial instructions to brush on a silicone mould, Julia firstly marked out where to build the surrounded clay wall into the plaster. I have made sure that the thickness of the clay wall is thicker than the piece itself, to help contain off running silicone. It is also important that I did not place any keys down the centre line of the piece, as a fibreglass jacket will later be made over this to join at the centre. When fitting the piece to my model's head, I may need to consider keeping it as two separate pieces, with a hinge joint at the back and clasp at the front.
When mixing up the first coat of silicone, I have used 40g of part A to 400g part B. This was then mixed together and placed inside the vacuum chamber to bring any bubbles to the surface. Using a cheap paint brush, I then applied the silicone all over my piece up to the clay boarder. I have left this overnight to set for 16 hours. Naturally, I expect a great deal of the silicone will have migrated southwards over the clay border as it cures.

No comments:

Post a Comment