Friday 11 March 2011

Correcting the silicone piece and preparing for the fibreglass jacket

The silicone is cut back to reveal the keys. Clay is added to plug any gaps around the silicone where the fibreglass my fix onto the original clay sculpt. The blob of clay at the bottom is an attempt to rescue a key that was not fully formed under the bulk of silicone. I was advised that this was not worth keeping so I later cut it completely off as it would have hindered, rather than helped the molding process. The back of the plaster bust is coated in beeswax to prevent resin form sticking to it. The clay wall is added on one side and the back of the shoulder is covered in gel coat.

Whilst the layers of silicone were setting, I started work on securing wire through each piece of the wings. The welding rod not only supports the blue foam, but will allow them to join a metal back plate as a base later. As I could not simply poke the sire through the thin, delicate blue foam pieces, I have cut it in two and bent the wire to fit within this curve. The inside of both halves of blue foam is slitted to help the wire sit in place. Contact adhesive will melt the foam so I have simply used PVA glue to adhere the wire and two halves of the foam. Masking tape holds the piece together whilst this sets. The join line should not show through the covering fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment